Google Psyche

I'll eventually get around to assembling a Rush Chimes megapost (I've been obsessed with him for the past week and will continue to be for many weeks hereafter), but in the meanwhile I wanted to take a quick break from my insane homework weekend and blog about this Google study Nick Carr recently posted about.

Google teamed up with a bunch of neuroscientists and conducted a study on the effectiveness of the InVideo ads that were recently integrated into YouTube videos. If I might take this moment to remind you that Google bought YouTube two years ago. Research involved literally hooking people up to brain activity monitors to measure variables such as "emotional engagement," "memory retention" and "subconscious brand resonance."

The study, which involved 40 participants, found that "InVideo ads scored above average on a scale of one to 10 for measures like 'attention' (8.5), 'emotional engagement' (7.3) and 'effectiveness' (6.6). According to officials, a 6.6 score is considered strong." All this reported by Mediaweek.

I didn't bother to read the study, so I'm not going to raise skepticism about these elusive "officials" who "consider 6.6 to be strong," because they may very well be legitimately named in the study. However, I do think we need take this Google funded study with a grain of salt. First off, we have no idea if these result are repeatable. Secondly, Google isn't exactly a non-invested party in this study. As a stakeholder who mainly makes their revenue from ads sales, they have much to gain by "proving" their InVideo placements are effective. At the same time, by showing evidence that subconscious response to a particular brand is strengthen, Google may be on to some powerful priming that has been well researched by psychological communities.

Ever heard of the Sun & Moon Phenomenon?

0 voiced:

 

Meet the Author

Hi, I am Julie.
Sometimes Jules Juke.
This is where I ramble, reflect, and refocus.