a space between sounds

There are times went I feel it's a lost cause and others when I just want nothing more than to fill the gap between knowing and unknowing.

I'm talking about the largely misrepresented and misunderstood chasm between electronic dance music (for now I'll use that umbrella term) and what, for purposes of ease, I'll call traditional album music. Traditional album music runs the gamut of every genre that has ever fallen under the structured system of piano/guitar/verse-chorus-verse songwriting, this includes your standard folk, rock, blues, pop, country, contemporary, r&b, etc brands.

There have been, for lack of better term, "crossover" artists who've tried to breech the gap between the electronic and traditional music, but these bands/artists mainly get sequestered in one direction or the other. If you sound more electro, you get clumped there. If you sound more "rock" (or whatever genre), you're marketed that way with an "electronic edge" (or some lame spiel to that effect). Because our approach to genres and labellings is confined by our humanness, we end up describing sound in a purely one-dimensional and sometimes contralateral way. For the most part, we've all been trained to accept these labels as a plaintively as the sky is blue. And normally I don't have a probably with that, like I said, we've been bred to understand and act within the "rules", much like our ideas of gender, race, and sexuality pervade. However I do have a problem with the whole "worlds apart" theory people have about the "exception" genres like metal, country, and techno - my problem being the "I listen to everything else except . . . [insert aforementioned genres here]" mentality. The concern is that most people have narrow, ill-informed notions about what certain types of music actually entail. Most of the time these definitions are poorly representative of their respective cultures. Being a person who [now] listens to a crapload of genres around the clock, I can tell you from experience that the exception genres (especially in recent years) have become much more integrated with traditional ideas of songwriting than the larger public gives them credit for. And that in itself should be marketing the music, yet there has been very little acceptance and embracement of this movement because we are still caged by our one-dimensional categories and definitions of extreme.

The thing that baffles me is that you'd think with all this crazy file-sharing and ease of access to music that's enveloped our culture, you'd see people become more forgiving to diversity. And to some extent we have pushed forward and relaxed the idea of what's "ok" to like, but our distaste for "extremes" still stalk us like black sheep. And really, here's where I plug my blog, I post stuff from all sorts of genres so people will 1) be exposed to the extremes in the first place (because how likely are they to do it of their own volition) and 2) to prove how easily the extremes can and have been integrated into our idea of traditional.

There's more to be said. But chew on that for now.


0 voiced:

 

Meet the Author

Hi, I am Julie.
Sometimes Jules Juke.
This is where I ramble, reflect, and refocus.